Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Keeping the tradition of giving paper as a gift alive

Recently I have been doing some thinking about writing and our words.  How sending cards and notes in the mail has since gone by the wayside with the wave of technology.  I love technology but also am reminded that keeping some of the old fashion ways of doing things should not be forgotten.  I hear my mother in law constantly in my head about how she hates email and that my generation has lost touch with the personal touch and with communication with each other.  I have to say that I do agree with her, as much as I do love email and text the simple act of an actual phone call or a face to face meeting with someone can be so much more meaningful.  In this I have thought about how I do love to mail cards in the mail to those I may even see often as it can bring such a neat feeling to someone to know you thought of them in that way.  I think about how with each year at Christmas we get less and less Christmas cards in the mail which is something I love.  I even save them in a bag and look at them again the next year but I do know that time is something we find ourselves with less and less with each passing day.  In 2012 I want to be more proactive to make the time to incorporate the act of mailing kindness to people.  In keeping with this I decided to use facebook as a tool to bring people together in doing so to encourage one another.  Using a new means of communication with trying to keep an old one alive.  And so Mail it Mondays was created, a group created to give and receive encouragement in making Monday not JUST the beginning of the blah work week but a day you mail that card or letter to someone you feel could use a smile in their mailbox.  Over Christmas I gave a family member stationary as a gift, something her dad would always give to her which was a bitter sweet gift to her as she just lost her dad right before the holidays.  I did not know this and when she shared that with me I was understanding the urging I had to give her this gift.  As I was running around today I picked up a card that I am excited to mail this coming Monday.  I returned home to arrive at the mailbox to find mixed in with all the junk mail and bills a card from this person using the stationary I had gifted to her with such kind words in there with this sentence being my focus " thank you for this beautiful stationary and for keeping traditions of giving paper as a gift alive.  : )  How perfect..  A gesture that I am blessed and grateful for today....

No comments:

Post a Comment